This stool has been sitting in my “too hard to fix” basket for way too long, and I finally got motivated to do something about it. As you can see by the first pic, it may have originally been one of those Balinese type chairs with the handles on the sides curving upwards.
Both sides were broken off, so I had to be creative to come up with a plan to make this look okay. (By the way, this had been sitting at The Rubbish Removers’ Recyle Mart for weeks before I plucked up the courage, or maybe just felt sorry for the little thing sitting all lonely and all. Sporting a nice little $5 sticker, I thought I couldn’t go wrong if I gave him a little TLC).
I planned to cover the top with a cushion, so started with spray painting the base in an Antique White colour. I then had to add a piece of wood edging along each side where those holes from the side handles are in the picture above. This was to build the sides down to the same level as the end pieces where I was going to tack my fabric.
I bought an off cut piece of medium density foam for $6 and cut it to correct size, then covered it with batting and put a few staples in place.
The next part was a little tricky as I measured and tacked my lovely Paris fabric to the ends and stapled along under the sides.
Of course, making sure I centred the Eiffel tower on the fabric design.
The corners just needed a hand sewn tacking stitch to secure the folded corners, and voila, nearly finished. The cushion looked a little high, but I think it’s not too bad. Just the right height to sit on and comfy padding!
I took the above picture before I decided that it would look better if I sanded the legs to a shabby, stressed finish, giving it an aged look, but also making those finer detailed bits on the sides to stand out.
The finer details …